Monday, April 29, 2013

Cooking Out in the Backyard

This is the time of the year that I look forward to and enjoy. When I go out back and spoof things up in preparation for the summer parties. I so enjoy the warm summer months when my friends and family come over to my place for cook outs and BBQs. If I could, I'd have everyone over every single week. I just love spending time with the people that I love and it seems like the time goes by so fast when we are all together.

 But having all those people over can be a little hard on the wallet, so I'm going to share some of my favorite tips on how to stay within your budget and still having fun.

Coupons: I constantly look for coupons for condiments, meats that can be frozen for a few months at a time, canned goods that go well with barbecued food (baked beans anyone?) I like to use these coupons when the items are already on sale at my grocery store to really amp up my savings. Then I just store everything until I'm ready to use it over the summer.

Easy Cheap Food: When we have an extra large crowd I like to stay with hotdogs, burgers, or chicken. I tend to do the chicken and burgers when there are more adults coming over as the kids seem to like the hot dogs the most and I like to cook for as few leftovers as possible. When I have too  many leftovers I can never seem to eat it all and inevitably wind up with wasted food, and wasted food is wasted money.

Potluck Style: If you are providing the main course or meat options, then don't be shy to ask guests to bring their favorite side dishes to share with everyone. This cuts down on your expenditures and a lot of the time guests are more than happy to help.

Dollar Store: Utilize your local dollar store for paper plates, cups, plastic ware, decorations, etc.

If you already own a grill then put it to good use, clean it up if needed and possibly make repairs, however if this is going to be the first summer you are having cookouts and you don't own a grill, you may want to consider investing in a small indoor grill first to be sure that you enjoy cooking for a large group of people. Plus an indoor grill can easily be used year round and isn't as expensive as a nicer outdoor grill. Then if you decide that you want to invest in a larger grill, you can, if you decide cooking out isn't for you and you'd rather gather at a friend's house you haven't invested in an appliance you aren't going to ever use again.



Cook Out

No comments:

Post a Comment